9.5.15

Beauty Queens by Libba Bray


Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

Goodreads Synopsis
From bestselling, Printz Award-winning author Libba Bray, the story of a plane of beauty pageant contestants that crashes on a desert island. Teen beauty queens. A "Lost"-like island. Mysteries and dangers. No access to emall. And the spirit of fierce, feral competition that lives underground in girls, a savage brutality that can only be revealed by a journey into the heart of non-exfoliated darkness. Oh, the horror, the horror! Only funnier. With evening gowns. And a body count.

_________________________________________________________________________

First of all, what a cover. I love the lipsticks in the bullet holders. The cover is one of the reasons I read this book. The other is because it was recommended to me by a friend.

I really enjoyed this novel, but it is definitely either a love or a hate, nothing in between. That's probably why the Goodreads star counter is basically in the middle. 

Plot
The commercials and voice overs were by far my favourite parts of the novel. I loved that writing style and how it still had all those tie into the plot and move it forward. It would have been easy to have those go off-topic; these acted like regular commercials that would interrupt an actual television show, but still had the reader understanding that the plot was moving forward in a particular direction. 

Sure, it was an obvious combination of other stories and plot lines that have been done before. But there was so much in here that was done well, like Petra and the relationship between Nicole and Shanti. I loved the way the diversity was handled. Ir was a fresh take on some topics that are fairly "controversial" in today's society. 

Characters
Would have been 5 stars but I did not like what I deemed to be the unnecessary addition of the sexy pirates. These girls had survived on their own for a while and were doing great and then some boys show up and they revert to being helpless? No thanks, I'm not about that life.

I did like Tiara and her arc. I loved that she was so proud of being able to create something and decorate it to the best of her abilities. I loved that she felt empowered and used what people perceived to be her weakness to her advantage. I just really liked how strong she became while still being the typical "beauty queen" for lack of better terms.

Taylor was by far the best character and I wish she hadn't been reduced to a legitimate crazy girl. She had a little bit of everything and should have been the main protagonist, not Adina. 

Of course a lot of the characters were stereotypes, but they were still well-written enough that it was easy to look past it.


Overall: 4/5 stars and would be more if there was less sexy pirates and more poison dart blowing Taylor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I cherish each and every comment. If you leave me a link to your blog, I will do my best to comment back!