17 May 2015

Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass #2) by Sarah J. Maas

Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass #2) by Sarah J. Maas

Goodreads Synopsis

"A line that should never be crossed is about to be breached.

It puts this entire castle in jeopardy—and the life of your friend."


From the throne of glass rules a king with a fist of iron and a soul as black as pitch. Assassin Celaena Sardothien won a brutal contest to become his Champion. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown. She hides her secret vigilantly; she knows that the man she serves is bent on evil.

Keeping up the deadly charade becomes increasingly difficult when Celaena realizes she is not the only one seeking justice. As she tries to untangle the mysteries buried deep within the glass castle, her closest relationships suffer. It seems no one is above questioning her allegiances—not the Crown Prince Dorian; not Chaol, the Captain of the Guard; not even her best friend, Nehemia, a foreign princess with a rebel heart.

Then one terrible night, the secrets they have all been keeping lead to an unspeakable tragedy. As Celaena's world shatters, she will be forced to give up the very thing most precious to her and decide once and for all where her true loyalties lie... and whom she is ultimately willing to fight for.


_______________________________________________________________
Wow, what an ending. I did however think that it was pretty obvious. I guessed it at 70% and then when the other plot twist happened, I was like oh I guess I was wrong about the first one, but I was not.

Celaena was much more interesting this time. I think a lot of the problems I had with the first book stemmed from the actual plot and testing process than from Celaena herself. I am so glad that well everyone realized that it was always about Celaena and Chaol because it has been since day one. 

And as much as I love Dorian, he and Celaena should have only ever been friends. But Dorian. DORIAN. He was such a good character in this one, even better than in the first novel. Whereas with the first novel, he was a plot point to Celaena, this time he had to face everything alone. Including his plot twist which I thought for sure Nehemia was going to help him figure it out, but I do hope he gets some guidance in the matter.

Chaol Westfall is a dream come true and also so stubborn and blind that I wish I could reach into the pages and smack him. I'm glad he had this mistake in this novel so that he can learn from it and grow. And I know he has everything semi figured out, but I did really think that the date she told him had more to do with the date he gave her rather than what he thinks he knows. That was a really confusing sentence but I did not want to spoil anything. I do hope that he finds a way to be at peace with himself in the rest of the series.

I'm excited to see where the series will go from here. It seems like everything is in place to make a dramatic next novel and I'm sitting here like oh good it's reaching it's climax and I just looked on Goodreads and there are six novels in total which means we are no where near climax and I'm afraid for my sanity because that was too much for me to take so I'm not sure how much more I can possibly handle. In a good way though.

Overall: 4/5 stars. I really liked that Celaena came into her own and that there was much more of her assassin abilities being used. I'm glad she started to really question everything and found part of herself. I would have given it five stars if losing her virginity wasn't described as giving him everything she had. Because women are more than our vaginas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I cherish each and every comment. If you leave me a link to your blog, I will do my best to comment back!