10.5.15

How To Catch A (Rock) Star by Gabrielle Aquilina

How To Catch A (Rock) Star

Author: Gabrielle Aquilina
Source: eARC via Publisher
Publisher: So Vain Books
Publication Date: May 13, 2015
Rating: 4/5 stars

Summary:
A story of sex, love and rock 'n' roll


Aspiring singer Lillie and American rock star Jed seem like the perfect fit from the moment they meet. The pair are inseparable, but Jed’s jet-set schedule of shows and after-parties limits the amount they can see each other. So when Jed invites Lillie to sing with his band on their tour, she says yes. Yes with some hesitation, that is. After finding out that her ex-boyfriend was hiding away a wife and child when they were dating, Lillie’s trust in men is fragile and she also suffers from severe stage fright. As the tour progresses, Jed and Lillie are fast becoming rock’s hottest couple but with obsessive fan girls, a claustrophobic tour bus and a resentful guitarist, things start taking a turn for the worse. Lillie’s dream of singing may have finally become a reality, but can it last? The odds are stacking up against them and then the unthinkable happens… 
Purchase:
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to So Vain Books for this opportunity.

This was definitely your typical romance novel and I ate up every minute of it. I found myself grinning from ear to ear during the "fluff" parts of the novel. Sometimes I even had to pause and put the book down because I couldn't read any more with how happy and excited I was for Lillie and Jed. I loved Lillie and it was great to see her grow as a character and really come into herself over the course of the novel. Jed was perfect and the two of them really complemented one another. It was insta-love but I was okay with it because they had such good chemistry and it wasn't as if the romance took place only over the course of a week.


There were so many times I was waiting for something to happen with Johnny or one of the other band members, but they genuinely cared about Jed and Lillie and their relationship. Kate was kind of a filler character for me, someone for Lillie to talk to about her problems to make her story progress; same for her sister Tess. I also would have liked an explanation beyond what was given for why Lillie doesn't talk to her parents as much. Also, I would have liked an introduction to her brother. I feel like there could have been a tender brother-sister moment that would have fully completed the story for me. I was glad that the parties in the wrong admitted to their mistakes, but I do think there should have been a longer period of being upset and sorry before it was completely sorted. 

I think it would have been a bit more believable if they had had more little fights before their big blowout near the end. And I would have liked it if the sex scenes were longer and/or more detailed. Otherwise, no real complaints about the novel, plot, or characters.

Overall: 4/5 stars. I can't wait to see what else Gabrielle Aquilina writes because I will be the first one to buy it! Pick this one up May 13th!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I cherish each and every comment. If you leave me a link to your blog, I will do my best to comment back!