13.5.15

I, Zombie by Hugh Howey


I, Zombie by Hugh Howey

Goodreads Synopsis
***WARNING: NOT FIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION***

This book contains foul language and fouler descriptions of life as a zombie. It will offend most anyone, so proceed with caution or not at all.

And be forewarned: This is not a zombie book. This is a different sort of tale. It is a story about the unfortunate, about those who did not get away. It is a human story at its rotten heart. It is the reason we can't stop obsessing about these creatures, in whom we see all too much of ourselves.

_________________________________________________________________________
Such an interesting take on zombies. Really original and expanded my thoughts on how zombies would operate and be created. I think a lot of zombie novels forget to expand upon the actual zombie itself, so this was extremely interesting to me from a mythological point of view. 

The characters were all complex and had diverse backgrounds, but all really told the same story: they were turned and had some control over their thoughts and action for a bit before the primal zombie took over and they could no longer do anything more than search for food.  The horror and the concept were interesting and well expanded upon; however, I think there was too many different points of views that never really got finished. These left me wondering what was happening. I understand that it is always good to leave things to the readers imagination, but it did seem that some of the stories stopped in the middle of a thought rather than at a natural ending.

As well, some times it was confusing as to why certain characters were grouped together when their stories did not overlap. Considering the majority of stories overlapped, it was strange to have some of the characters' stories overlap but not others. The switching points of view was not an issue -- it was clearly labelled whose life we were witnessing.

Overall: 3.5/5 stars. For fans of zombie lore and anyone who wants a fresh perspective on something that has been done multiple, multiple times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I cherish each and every comment. If you leave me a link to your blog, I will do my best to comment back!