8.5.15

Into the Shadows by Karly Kirkpatrick



Into the Shadows by Karly Kirkpatrick

Goodreads Synopsis
Fans of the TV series ‘Heroes, the film ‘Push’, and the book ‘The Hunger Games’ will enjoy Into the Shadows, a modern and paranormal thriller. This is the first book in the Into the Shadows Trilogy.


Paivi Anderson has it all - friends, a spot on the varsity basketball team, wonderful parents, and quite possibly, her first boyfriend. It was everything a freshman in high school could ask for. Her perfect life begins to crumble when she discovers her name on a list distributed by a power-hungry presidential candidate. How could anyone think of Paivi as an Enemy of the State? Could it be because of her special powers? No one was supposed to know about them, but the mysterious messages in her tater tots say otherwise. In INTO THE SHADOWS, Paivi quickly learns who her friends are and is forced into a reality she didn’t see coming.


______________________________________________________________________________

While I liked the plot and the idea of the story, it was a very underwhelming opening book in my opinion. There was too much focus on unrelated things in the first half of the book, which I think were to try to make Paivi a more interesting character (spoiler alert: it didn't work). The switching of the perspective in the novel to the Senator/President-Elect felt forced and didn't really add to the plot, in my opinion. I believe that the author wanted to tell the audience that there would be more than just the interrogations and rounding up the characters, but it was unnecessary. As well, it was obvious that the author was trying to correlate this story to Nazism, so that added in dialogue about the ATC being Nazis was not needed. I was hoping there would be more magic and a sort of mentor ship/coaching so that Paivi could use her magic more to help solve their problems. I guess that could still happen in the next novel, but it is a bit doubtful. 

Characters
Paivi wasn't that interesting. The fact that she has visions of the future gives the book spoilers throughout and you don't get really surprised when things happen because the audience was already told it would happen. Again, I think there was too much focus on Paivi's life before the list and not enough focus on what it means now that the list has been given to the public. I didn't really connect to Paivi but that might have been because I found her boring. 

Paivi's relationship with Jason makes me cringe. He is a pretty flat character too, there is nothing really special about him. Like, I get it, he is accepting of the "EOS" and of Paivi, but I like Christian a lot better. Honestly, Christian was even better developed than Jason (although not by much). I found that Jason was developed as like the "perfect" guy for Paivi because he liked everything she did and did everything he could to complement her. But Christian was written as similar but opposite to Paivi. He had more emotional range (again, not by much), but it was enough that he felt like a real person rather than a one dimensional character.

I hope there is more Torsten in the next novel and that he has more of a role to play. I hate when characters are dragged along but don't move the plot forward and are there as a way for the main character to get their ideas out by speaking to this character.

The dialogue was shaky and there was too much "telling" in my opinion. I also think it was way too easy for the characters to become "safe" through the method they chose. I know it was a homage to historical events, but it was still a bit ridiculous in my opinion. 

Overall: 1.5/5 stars because of lack of depth and way too much time spent on Paivi's life before everything goes to hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I cherish each and every comment. If you leave me a link to your blog, I will do my best to comment back!