15.5.15

My Soul To Take (Soul Screamers #1) by Rachel Vincent


My Soul To Take (Soul Screamers #1) by Rachel Vincent

Goodreads Synopsis
She doesn't see dead people. She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next.

_________________________________________________________________________
Just from the description, it was obvious that Kaylee is a banshee although I was hoping for a more demon-y approach to this novel but meh. 

One of the main things I had a problem with was if Nash could sense Kaylee before then why did he start showing an interest in her when he did? I feel like he should have always been interested in Kaylee and had at least conversed with her as friends prior to them interacting and dry humping at the club. The interactions between the two are lacking though, and Noah falling all over every girl and then suddenly changing his ways for Kaylee was a bit much for me (I probably eye rolled a thousand times during the course of this book because of their scenes). 

A lot of the plot was pretty obvious once you started to read, it was as if the author didn't want to foreshadow so much as blatantly tell the reader what was about to happen next. i.e. Kaylee and Nash guiding Emma's soul back into her body since they had just discussed that they would be able to perform that task together.

The relationship between Kaylee and her extended family was so ridiculous and the interactions were forced. It doesn't make sense to me that her aunt and uncle would put her in a mental institution when he knew exactly what Kaylee was going through and why she was screaming. I don't even really understand why her father wouldn't have told her the truth even if he couldn't be around her because Kaylee looked too much like her dead mother. It is absurd to me that Nash was the first person to clue Kaylee in on what was happening. 

I feel like the entire plot was just merely a subplot and that nothing really happened. Like okay so some girls were being killed and Kaylee found out her identity but nothing else really happened.

Overall: 2/5 stars. I thought it was too predictable and that the banshee mythology wasn't well explained.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I cherish each and every comment. If you leave me a link to your blog, I will do my best to comment back!