11.5.15

Omni (Omni #1) by Andrea Murray


Omni (Omni #1) by Andrea Murray

Goodreads Synopsis
Pierce only wants a shot, a real shot, and not just the excuses he's been handed his whole life. Harmony wants to escape her future, the future she fears will be chosen for her. After their chance meeting, they might get exactly what they want.

Since taking over the US government years earlier, the Omni party has created a perfect existence. From consorts to job assignments, every choice, every facet of life is under their control. Each citizen has a specific role in one of the four strata. Seventeen-year-old Pierce is a Drudge, the lowest social stratum in society. For over two years, he’s hoped—prayed—that his upcoming aptitude test will finally free him from his virtual slavery and give him a chance at a better existence. When he rescues Harmony, an Artist and member of the most successful stratum, at a publicity event for her latest movie, his life takes an unbelievable twist. With his gallant act and good looks, he becomes a media sensation. Every stratum in society seeks his membership for their publicity, but as he becomes closer to Harmony, Pierce realizes what fame in the all-seeing eye of Omni is truly like. His choices will not only affect him but Harmony as well. The life Pierce thought he wanted may not be worth the cost to either of them.

In this retelling of the classic story of Paris and Helen, love must struggle against an ultramodern, ultra-controlling society. They will risk everything, even challenging the all-seeing eye of the Omni government. But will the prize be worth the cost?


_________________________________________________________________________
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to Booktrope Publishing for this opportunity.

Setting the story of Paris and Helen in a science fiction dystopian is not something I ever thought I was going to read, but I am really glad I did! For me, personally I needed a bit more world building. Since I already knew the story -- or at least the general outline -- I needed to know more about the world around Pierce and Harmony. There was minimal explanation for why the Omni government took over and how it actually ran things, except for saying that there was a test. Except even this test could be overlooked and people could just be placed in a certain caste. 

I thought the characters were pretty fleshed out, but I would have liked more from them, especially Pierce. I felt like he was a little flat for me, but there is still another novel so that could easily be remedied. I think the relationship between Pierce and Harmony could have been explained a little bit more and I was also a little confused as to why the different castes weren't allowed to cohort amongst other castes. 

I did really love it though because I took Classical Studies as my minor and really enjoyed the story as a retelling.

Overall: 3.5/5 stars. A good retelling but not the best I've read. Loved the mythology alluding though! You can pick this one up tomorrow!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jaime!

    Thanks for hosting Andrea with us and for the great review. :)

    Laurie
    Good Tales

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I cherish each and every comment. If you leave me a link to your blog, I will do my best to comment back!