10.5.15

Siren's Fury (The Storm Siren Trilogy #2) by Mary Weber

Siren's Fury (The Storm Siren Trilogy #2) by Mary Weber

Goodreads Synopsis
"I thrust my hand toward the sky as my voice begs the Elemental inside me to waken and rise. But it's no use. The curse I've spent my entire life abhorring—the thing I trained so hard to control—no longer exists."

Nym has saved Faelen only to discover that Draewulf stole everything she valued. Now he’s destroyed her Elemental storm-summoning ability as well.

When Nym sneaks off with a host of delegates to Bron, Lord Myles offers her the chance for a new kind of power and the whispered hope that it may do more than simply defeat the monster she loathes. But the secrets the Bron people have kept concealed, along with the horrors Draewulf has developed, may require more than simply harnessing a darker ability.

They may require who she is.

Set against the stark metallic backdrop of the Bron kingdom, Nym is faced with the chance to change the future.

Or was that Draewulf’s plan for her all along?

_________________________________________________________________________
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to Thomas Nelson Fiction for this opportunity.

First. OMG. Oh. My. God. I feel like I can barely think about what I just read. It was so intense and interesting. It really expanded the world and the mythology behind the Elemental and what is capable in the world. It also expanded the mythology of the different powers and abilities that all the different lands specialize in, but I still wanted more. I know we had a peek at the Terrene ability in Storm Siren but I was hoping for more of an expansion on what would be possible with their abilities. Hopefully because Rasha was so integral to this novel (and appears to be just as important for the next one), there will be more of an explanation for the Luminescent ability and what their full capabilities are.

I think the most interesting aspect of this world is that people can gain abilities through taking potions. And having the experience of going through it first hand through Nym's perspective was equal parts terrifying and exhilarating. I'm not usually a fan of stories written in first person, but this one was necessary (sort of how The Hunger Games was necessary to be written in first person). 

I think because I knew I would do the same if I was in Nym's position, I didn't think her decision to seek out these other abilities was a "stupid" decision on her part, even though the information and request came from Myles. I liked seeing Nym forego being defensive and being proactive while using these new abilities. It was a good change that helped her to realize that mercy and compassion are the most important character traits one can have. I think her character was more thoroughly explored in this novel and it made me come to love her and really resonate with her on a personal level. She made choices that I could see myself making in the same situation and her thirst for the power to save Eogan was played as a redeeming quality rather than one that made me dislike her character.

Myles in this first book didn't even register on my radar because he didn't seem like anything special but wow was I wrong. Everything about him in this novel made me fall in love with him. I mean, of course, I do typically tend to like the antagonist better. Even though I wouldn't call him an antag0nist in the purest sense. He is more of a "I'm here to help myself which may also help you realize who you are" character than anything. His dialogue was perfect though and every time he wasn't in a scene, I wanted him to be. I am really excited to see what comes next for him and I will not be happy if he dies.

While no one will replace Colin and Breck for me, I think Rasha was still a good addition to the main character cast. Because of her ability, it was a good way for the reader to understand what was happening in reality with only minimal bias as she could read people's true intentions. She could also objectively see what was happening to Nym and how this new ability was negatively affecting her. At the same time though, she had her own story, her own reasons for doing things, and her own problems and emotions. If she isn't reunited with Nym quickly in the next novel, I do hope that there is some chapters that are told from her perspective because I want to know more about her.

I think the pacing of this novel was much better than the first. The politics and planning of the characters made sense over the course of the week (!!) in which the story took place. The conversations and schemes (for lack of a better word) made sense in context, which only aided to show how much the venom in Nym was affecting her and her ability to feel compassion. This added to the fact that she was taking more of an interest in Myles made for a great exploration of what Nym would do to save the love of her life.

The brief hints at Eogan were good but not enough. I need more. There has to be more. I'm glad there wasn't a love triangle hinted at, but I gotta say I would be torn between the two of them if I had a choice. And if they were real.

The take over the world plot by Draewulf and Lady Isobel was typical but still well fleshed out. I live for prophecies so I was really excited by the Elegy. Hopefully there is more of an explanation of the ritual and what the consequences of this are. I actually wouldn't mind if the plan succeeded, that would be a nice twist. But I doubt it will because happy endings are also needed in this story. I think it was interesting how and why Draewulf was not able to continue his plan the way he intended, which only further demonstrated how important compassion is. It was a little cliche that compassion and love saved the day but I am okay with it.

Overall: 4.5/5. THIS WAS SO GOOD. Honestly, I wasn't sure that it would be able to top Storm Siren because even though Storm Siren was a little slow to start, it was still an amazing novel. But Siren's Fury takes the cake man. I almost wish I had waited until it was closer to when the third novel would be released because I do not want to wait for the conclusion to this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I cherish each and every comment. If you leave me a link to your blog, I will do my best to comment back!