10.5.15

Storm Siren (The Storm Siren Trilogy #1) by Mary Weber

Storm Siren (The Storm Siren Trilogy #1) by Mary Weber

Goodreads Synopsis
 “I raise my chin as the buyers stare. Yes. Look. You don’t want me. Because, eventually, accidentally, I will destroy you.”

In a world at war, a slave girl’s lethal curse could become one kingdom’s weapon of salvation. If the curse—and the girl—can be controlled.

As a slave in the war-weary kingdom of Faelen, seventeen-year-old Nym isn’t merely devoid of rights, her Elemental kind are only born male and always killed at birth — meaning, she shouldn’t even exist.

Standing on the auction block beneath smoke-drenched mountains, Nym faces her fifteenth sell. But when her hood is removed and her storm-summoning killing curse revealed, Nym is snatched up by a court advisor and given a choice: be trained as the weapon Faelen needs to win the war, or be killed.

Choosing the former, Nym is unleashed into a world of politics, bizarre parties, and rumors of an evil more sinister than she’s being prepared to fight . . . not to mention the handsome trainer whose dark secrets lie behind a mysterious ability to calm every lightning strike she summons.

But what if she doesn’t want to be the weapon they’ve all been waiting for?

Set in a beautifully eclectic world of suspicion, super abilities, and monsters, Storm Siren is a story of power. And whoever controls that power will win.


_______________________________________________________________
I did really enjoy this. It wasn't as fast-paced as I would have liked, I did find it dragged in the middle, but it was still an overall good story and interesting beginning to a series that I know I will love.

I think at some points there was too much background noise and focus on the politics when it wasn't extremely necessary. I think that there should have been more of a focus on how Nym learns to control her power. She makes it seem as though it starts to become more and more natural for her to control her powers, but that isn't a good enough explanation for me. Especially since she needed Eogan to touch her to be able to control her powers at the beginning, so why did it change. Did something change in her to make this possible? I would have liked an answer to that.

The overall threat of war is always a good plot for a fantasy novel. I like that there are multiple lands and kings who are vying for power involved because it expands not only the world, but also what the plot could lead to. With different warring factions and alliances to be made and subsequently broken, it is a way to keep the reader guessing about who will pull through to be victorious. I am really looking forward to seeing how this will play out in the grand scheme of things.

Characters
I found Nym to be sympathetic and interesting, but I didn't find that I really resonated with her. Of course, that is hard to do since she has mystical powers, but even so I found she was too focused on all the bad she did and not enough on how she could change herself and her current situation if she put in a little more effort. I think she was too obsessed with death and I did not like that she cut herself. That was disturbing and is a huge trigger warning for people who want to read this book.

She is still a strong character and had a good character building arc in this novel, so I can only imagine where she will be heading in Siren's Fury and the rest of the trilogy. I do hope he gets over her jealousy though and learns to take more of a stand for herself and what she believes in. Those were the moments that truly resonated with me throughout the novel.

I think Colin was my favourite character. He did have some of the stereotypical sidekick elements of being over-the-top with his flirting and always able to swoon the girls, but it felt easy and not forced. I think it is because he was the only male in the trio of Breck and Nym. Because of this, we didn't get the protagonist saying "Oh he has it so easy with the girls while I am struggling yet I have 107123017 different girls who want to bone me". And the relationship between them was platonic. They became a sort of family.

Colin's sister Breck was probably my second favourite character. She had so much spunk and life in her. I think it was interesting that she was the opposite of Colin in every way possible. Which is a part of the mythology surrounding the Tulla people's powers that I would like to know more about.

The villains were only meh to me. Probably because there were so many of them considering everyone that wasn't Nym or her friend was a villain in her eyes. Which I understand since she was/is a slave and has a hard time trusting people in authority. However, it felt fake and forced that everyone was this slimy, evil person. 

Eogan was something I did not see coming. From the introduction of Breck, I thought for sure Nym's love interest was going to be Colin, even though Nym described Eogan as the most beautiful man/person she had ever seen in her entire life. Their relationship made me smile absurdly and their easy banter and communication was what made the novel. I loved him as a character and his arc was probably the best written one in the novel.

Overall: 4/5 stars. I absolutely loved this and am really excited for the rest of the series. THAT CLIFFHANGER IS SOMETHING I COULD DO WITHOUT THOUGH.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I cherish each and every comment. If you leave me a link to your blog, I will do my best to comment back!