12 May 2015

The 100 (The 100 #1) by Kass Morgan


The 100 (The 100 #1) by Kass Morgan

Goodreads Synopsis
NO ONE HAS SET FOOT ON EARTH IN CENTURIES - UNTIL NOW.

Ever since a devastating nuclear war, humanity has lived on spaceships far above Earth's radioactive surface. Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents - considered expendable by society - are being sent on a dangerous mission: to recolonize the planet. It could be their second chance at life... or it could be a suicide mission.

Clarke was arrested for treason, though she's haunted by the memory of what she really did. Wells, the chancellor's son, came to Earth for the girl he loves - but will she ever forgive him? Reckless Bellamy fought his way onto the transport pod to protect his sister, the other half of the only pair of siblings in the universe. And Glass managed to escape back onto the ship, only to find that life there is just as dangerous as she feared it would be on Earth.

Confronted with a savage land and haunted by secrets from their pasts, the hundred must fight to survive. They were never meant to be heroes, but they may be mankind's last hope.

_________________________________________________________________________
I loved this novel. I originally picked it up because of the show, but wow does this have a lot more dimensions to it than what the show explores. The characters on the surface seem like they each have their specific purposes to being on Earth, but there is so much more to each of their stories and we get that through flashbacks. Usually, I am not a fan of flashbacks but the execution of them in this novel were necessary and added to the story rather than detracted from it; a lot of times flashbacks cause for a break in flow of the reading, but the way the flashbacks were incorporated added an extra dimension to the story -- it felt like you were inside each of the characters' heads to understand their actual point of view of the situation at hand and reviewing the memories associated with their current situation.

Some of the characters actions were predictable, but that didn't matter much. Glass was such an intriguing character who I am excited to read more of in Day 21. Even though her story was one I guessed right away, it was still well written.  Clarke had such strong convictions and interesting motives! I love her take charge and can do attitude; I hope to see a lot more of that in the rest of the series. Wells was a strong character and it was nice to see a guy make a stupid decision out of love rather than a girl doing so for once. He seemed as if he had a one track mind in this one, but I think he will have more on his plate in Day 21 and will really step up to be a good leader to the 100. Bellamy probably has my favourite story in the entire story: he sacrificed everything to save his sister and then found out that his sister's choices are beyond his control. I think it was good to see them as a unit, but I am really looking forward to seeing him make his own choices and really become his own character. I think being on Earth is going to be good for all three of them and I hope that Glass has a chance to fight her own demons up on the arc.

Clarke, Wells, Bellamy, and Glass are all fantastic and I can't wait to see how their stories continue either. I hope that things work out for Octavia too -- poor thing has it rough.

Overall: 3.5/5 stars from me and you should also check out the show!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I cherish each and every comment. If you leave me a link to your blog, I will do my best to comment back!