19 May 2015

The Glasswrights' Progress (Glasswrights #2) by Mindy L. Klasky


The Glasswrights' Progress (Glasswrights #2) by Mindy L. Klasky

Goodreads Synopsis
The Little Army...Rani Trader survived the destruction of her family, her glasswrights' guild, and everything else that she held dear. She has begun to settle into her new life, living in the palace of Morenia's new king. A brutal betrayal, though, within the very castle walls, results in Rani being kidnapped, carried overseas to distant Amanthia.There, Rani discovers a plot against her king. Amanthia has raised the Little Army, a murderous force composed entirely of children. When Rani meets their captain, Crestman, she dreams of liberating the Little Army. But will she live long enough to try? 

_________________________________________________________________________
It was a good sequel to a decent book. I really enjoyed seeing Rani come into her own throughout this novel, moreso than we did in the first book. She wasn't just taking orders from other people without question and had her own ideals about what is right and wrong -- and acted upon these to suit her needs. I am not impressed that there was a two year gap between the first novel and this one as it made it feel like the first novel was a standalone and this one was a mere afterthought. However, I did enjoy seeing the characters more comfortable around one another because of the time they were allowed to spend together during these two years. The character interactions felt more natural and not as forced as the first novel, especially those of Rani and Mair.

There were a lot of good characters introduced in this novel, although my favourite was Crestman. I'm a little disappointed that he is not returning to Morenia with Rani, but I am hopeful that he is still a major presence in the next novel and eventually they are together again.

The information we receive about the Fellowship of Jair is limited, but was enough that I am curious as to their overall schemes and plans and how they will play out now that Hal has more of an understanding of what the plans are. I am intrigued to find out if they will be successful or not....

I was skeptical to continue with this series after the first novel, but I will most definitely be continuing it!


Overall: 4/5 stars because Crestman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I cherish each and every comment. If you leave me a link to your blog, I will do my best to comment back!