14.5.15

The Young World (The Young World Trilogy #1) by Chris Weitz


The Young World (The Young World Trilogy #1) by Chris Weitz

Goodreads Synopsis
Welcome to New York, a city ruled by teens.

After a mysterious Sickness wipes out the rest of the population, the young survivors assemble into tightly run tribes. Jefferson, the reluctant leader of the Washington Square tribe, and Donna, the girl he's secretly in love with, have carved out a precarious existence among the chaos. 

But when a fellow tribe member discovers a clue that may hold the cure for the Sickness, five teens set out on a life-altering road trip, exchanging gunfire with enemy gangs, escaping cults and militias, braving the wilds of the subway - all in order to save humankind.

_________________________________________________________________________
Loved the amount of diversity amongst the characters but it seemed like there were a lot of "token" characters. And there was a lot I didn't like about the writing. 

Jeff's point of view demonstrated just how naive he was but also how much of a natural leader he was. Donna's point of view was so irritating though! She was written as if she didn't have a brain and only cared about Jeff once he started caring about someone else. I hate that Donna is so insulting in her own mind and the writing of her thoughts almost made me put the book down at the switch of point of view (and that was chapter two).

The plot has been beaten to death and people more eloquent with words than I have already stated that. I see that it gets compared to the Gone series by Michael Grant and that series was so disappointing to me I don't even want to bring it up. (WHY DID YOU DO THAT TO THE BREEZE /end rant)
 
The action scenes were just not engaging to me and seemed hastily thrown together. It was as if he couldn't decide how he wanted to write them and went with trying to describe them, but it was lost on me since the novel was narrated first person. I find it extremely difficult to immerse myself in fight scenes when they are written in first person.

The love triangle and its ending was so overdone and one of the reasons I probably will not read this book ever again. I am so sick of unnecessary love triangles that end with one of the characters dying so that there is no real choice and also I am sick of man pain brought about by a female character dying. It is so freaking ridiculous and those are two trends that I hope die in the near future.

The ending intrigued me to see how the story will play out since the disease supposedly kills adults but there were alive adults at the end other than the crazy old man.

Overall: 3/5 stars for lack of originality for the fact that the females were made specifically to make the guys into more well-rounded characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I cherish each and every comment. If you leave me a link to your blog, I will do my best to comment back!