14.5.15

Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass #1) by Sarah J. Maas


Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass #1) by Sarah J. Maas

Goodreads Synopsis
After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin. Her opponents are men-thieves and assassins and warriors from across the empire, each sponsored by a member of the king's council. If she beats her opponents in a series of eliminations, she'll serve the kingdom for three years and then be granted her freedom. 

Celaena finds her training sessions with the captain of the guard, Westfall, challenging and exhilirating. But she's bored stiff by court life. Things get a little more interesting when the prince starts to show interest in her... but it's the gruff Captain Westfall who seems to understand her best. 

Then one of the other contestants turns up dead... quickly followed by another. 

Can Celaena figure out who the killer is before she becomes a victim? As the young assassin investigates, her search leads her to discover a greater destiny than she could possibly have imagined.

_________________________________________________________________________
Considering how much hype I had heard about this novel and been told "Oh Jamie you will love this, it is right up your alley" it was not that great. It had a great build up and the first 10% of the novel was really interesting, but it got too bogged down in politics. I think the testing needed to move along faster than it actually did to be able to keep my attention. There was too much in this first novel about what the rest would entail that it made this first novel really dense with information about a back story that the reader had yet to come across or even care about. 

The world building was horrible, in my opinion. Probably because there was a lack of it. If you are going to tell me a race has been completely abolished from the world, tell me why and how the bring them back permanently. This novel made it obvious that while the characters and King and everyone in the world thought the fae were completely extinct, they are not.

The use of magic in this novel was different. But teetering on bad different. The rituals were strange and the idea behind a set of symbols that only certain characters with certain historical background would know irks me for some reason. That's probably nit-picky but if I am going to read a fantasy novel, I want it to make sense. 

I can already sense an unnecessary love triangle and I am not pleased by it. I would be more okay with it if it didn't seem like Celaena was choosing between a life of fun and danger and one of settling. I don't see why authors think it is appealing to "choose" between the fun guy that you would sneak around with and the boring one that you would bring home to mom. Why can't they both have these aspects to them? Or better yet, just have one guy who embodies both and don't make the heroine into some love sick puppy.


Overall: 3/5 stars. I will be continuing the series because I have heard such good things about it, but so far I'm underwhelmed. Also I have to decide if I want to stick with ebooks or buy paperbacks/hardcovers so I have been dragging my feet because I don't have the next one yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I cherish each and every comment. If you leave me a link to your blog, I will do my best to comment back!