28 Sept 2016

We Can(ada) Read: Guest Post from Scarlett Kol!

We Can(ada) Read is by Canadianfor EVERYONE to learn more about some amazing Canadian authors! We have 16 Canadian bloggers highlighting 16 Canadian authors plus you can hear about what it's like to live in Canada and write CanLit from 8 Canadian authors, most of which are 2016 debuts! For a full schedule of events during We Can(ada) Read, please click HERE!


Scarlett Kol is the author of MIDWINTER, a YA paranormal coming late 2016 from Rebelight Publishing. She grew up in Northern Manitoba reading books about creatures that make you want to sleep with the lights on. As an adult she's still a little afraid of the dark. Scarlett lives just outside Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada with her husband and two kids, but if you need to find her she's likely freezing at the hockey rink.

Connect with the Author:

Built Northern Tough


Growing up in northern Manitoba there was a phrase I've heard over and over for my entire life – "You're tough, you're from Thompson." Even after moving hundreds of kilometers away from my hometown, I still hear it and have on occasion been known to use it to describe myself.

So what exactly makes Thompson girls so tough? Maybe it's the painfully cold weather and mountains of snow. Maybe it's the isolation because the closest city is an eight hour drive away. Or maybe it's because life can be a little rough there sometimes. Whatever the reason, I grew up a tough northern girl and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Over the years, like everyone else, I've struggled with things. Life hasn't always turned out the way I wanted it to and sometimes being my best just wasn't good enough, but being tough has allowed me to pick myself back up and keep going, knowing that there will always be another opportunity if I keep pushing forward. As a writer, this can be extremely hard. You deal with rejection, self-doubt, bad reviews, and all other types of negativity, but perseverance can turn even the most hopeless situation into something positive.

My upcoming novel Midwinter is set in a little place called Shady Creek, which has a lot of similarities to my hometown of Thompson. It has cold snowy winters, tons of small town gossip, a deep obsession with hockey, and of course, a little bit of magic. It's a place where my main character, Avery Belmont, finds out that everything she knew about herself and her family is completely wrong and is left to sort through the pieces. A place where Avery can either give up or choose to become something better. She could choose to be tough.

MIDWINTER

Author: Scarlett Kol
Publisher: Rebelight Publishing
Publication Date: Late 2016

Summary:
The day Avery Belmont was born her father disappeared. Now after seventeen years, Avery returns to her hometown and awakens the dark family secrets he left behind. Secrets that connect her to the caustic and handsome Drew Montgomery. Secrets that probably should stay buried.

2 comments:

  1. My hometown was tiny and people didn't lock their doors. We could go anywhere and not have to worry (or at least we didn't). My hometown kept me sheltered and when I went into the "real world" for high school and college, I had no idea what I was running into. but, I wouldn't trade it for a harsher reality anyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where you grow up plays a HUGE part in who you are. If you had it another way, you wouldn't be you :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I cherish each and every comment. If you leave me a link to your blog, I will do my best to comment back!